Nature and aims
The Universidad Nacional de Colombia is an autonomous independent entity of superior education linked to the Ministry of National Education, with a special and defined regime as a National and Public University. Its goal is the development of professional education and investigation, which will be encouraged by the State allowing access to it and developing it on the same level as sciences and arts to achieve excellence.
In accordance with the Constitution and the Law, the National University of Colombia has a special organic regime enshrined in Decree - Law 1210 of 1993, which confers, among others, academic autonomy to decide with full independence on their study programs , investigative and extension.
It fulfills non-administrative functions aimed at promoting, on behalf of the State and under its promotion, the development of higher education up to its highest levels; favor access to it and stimulate teaching, research, sciences, artistic creation and extension, to achieve excellence.
Because of its national character and to fulfill the mission of contributing to the identity of the nation in its diversity, the Institution is constituted by nine headquarters to date.
Amazonia, Caribbean, Bogota, Manizales, Medellín, Orinoquia, Palmira, Tumaco and De La Paz.
The National University of Colombia has the following aims:
- Contribute to national unity, as a center of intellectual and cultural life open to all currents of thought and to all social, ethnic, regional and local sectors.
- Study and enrich the cultural, natural and environmental heritage of the nation and contribute to its conservation.
- Critically assimilate and create knowledge in the advanced fields of science, technology, technology, art and philosophy.
- To train professionals and researchers on a scientific, ethical and humanistic basis, providing them with a critical conscience that allows them to act responsibly in response to the requirements and trends of the contemporary world, as well as creatively lead change processes.
- Form free citizens and promote democratic values, tolerance and commitment to civil duties and human rights.
- Promote the development of the national academic community and promote its international articulation.
- Study and analyze national problems and propose, independently, formulations and relevant solutions.
- Provide support and advice to the State in scientific and technological, cultural and artistic orders, with academic and investigative autonomy.
- Participate in the benefits of their academic and research activity to the social sectors that make up the Colombian nation.
- Contribute to the promotion and promotion of access to quality higher education, through cooperation with other universities and State institutions.
- Encourage the integration and participation of students, for the achievement of the aims of higher education.